Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nuts and Bolts

"Generalised anger and frustration is something that gets you in the studio, and gets you to work - though it's not necessarily evident in anything that's finished. "
Bruce Nauman

I spent over an hour and a half playing around with my old Singer machine last night. I even opened her up and cleaned the underside!

Normally after trying a couple of things I would give up in frustration and go look at Berninas on the internet. But last night I stayed calm and just kept trying different things. I ended up changing from the Superior titanium coated topstitch #80 needle to a Shmetz microtex sharp #90. I tweaked the tension to be a little looser and  I was very happy with the stitches. No more shredded thread or skipped stitches. My Singer doesn't have a tension dial because the tension is supposed to adjust automatically but it does have a slider to tighten or loosen the tension.
 Now I need to work on my McTavishing. I guess I should have practised on paper first but as you can see I didn't get very far on the border so I don't think it will show to much.

Well I am off to do some more Christmas shopping so the sewing will have to wait until later.

No comments: